March 25, 2010

Persian New Year 2010

Persian New Year

On March 20th, William and I celebrated our first official married couple Persian New Year.  What's Persian New Year....You ask?  Well if you are not close to me, haven't lived with me, or know any Persians, then good chance you probably don't know.  Every year on the first day of spring, Iranians (Persians) celebrate their New Year. The Persian New Year consists of valued Iranian traditions going on for over 3000 years.  In my eyes, growing up, Persian New Year is a time to throw out the bad, bring in the good, celebrate being alive, and the celebration of all things new.  My mom always dressed me in a "new" outfit, we receive "new" crisp money, surround ourselves with family and friends, ate lots of good food and sweets, and party hardy. 

This year, unfortunately Oklahoma endured yet another snow storm.  So, bringing in the Persian New Year, celebrating the first day of spring was trampled by 5 inches + of snow.  BUT, you defiantly can't stop a Persian from having fun!  William and I celebrated at home at 12:32 pm exactly, although I got the times confused, I brought in the New Year by scrubbing down the kitchen counters from brunch....side note.  Anyways, I gave William lots of hugs and kisses, along with Izze and Bohdi, talked to family on the phone, then we jumped into our new gear (clothes).  We attended a wedding later that night, and had a complete blast!! 

I am thinking next year, I will continue to add to each Persian New Year tradition one by one, year by year, in hopes that a freak snow storm won't hinder me from doing so.

Happy Persian New Year

Thanks for Reading
 781 More Days Until William Gradu-ma-tates :)

No comments:

Post a Comment