June 23, 2010

Travels

Wordless Wednesday


For my semi wordless Wednesday, I figured I would finally end my posts about DC by telling you all about my tour at the Capital.  A little birdie (AkA Will's Uncle Jim) told us if you contact your state representative, they will give you a free tour around the capital.  Well thank goodness our state rep gave us the time of day and had an intern give us a grand tour around our amazing capital.  This was BY FAR my favorite site to see and it was a little sweeter that we got to have a private tour, we were inside in a well air conditioned building, and we even got to cut the lines (there was probably 10 elementary schools worth of children running around and standing in lines...if that gives you any indication how grateful I was to cut the lines).

 I'm glad our little birdie gave us this sweet insight, otherwise we would not have the experience we did.
the newly renovated visitor's center at the capital....$621 million dollars later...and I thought we are in a recession?

rubbing our feet at the very center of the capital for good luck...


if you know me....I love love love chandeliers...I would love to have this in my house...well dream house that is :)
old supreme court chambers

the dome of the capital

that would be George Washington in the middle of all those angels...he was a very humbled man...
actually he really was...he refused to think of himself as a "God", like everyone told him and portrayed him

each state has two statues in the capital...Oklahoma has Sequoyah

and Will Rogers (dUh)...before Will Rogers died (in his infamous plane crash) he requested that his statue have his head facing down and facing outside of the senate chambers...so when all the senators come out of their meetings they have to look him in the eye....clever man that one is...

the family in front of the replica of lady Freedom (the statue at the top of the capital)
Side Note:  No other statue can be as tall or weight as much as THE lady Freedom in the capital

Happy Wednesday! Thanks for reading!
691 more days until William graduates...

1 comment:

  1. ha! i had no idea about the will rogers statue! definitely a smart man.

    p.s. thanks for following along at greedy girl! i look forward to following you, too. :)

    ReplyDelete